A bit of history - I shattered my right knee 14 years ago - ripped the condiles off my tibia and tore open the knee joint. The last two years I have had a really bad pain come and go in that knee and it has kept me from extended backpacking. Last november I went to my doctor and he x-ray'd it and said there seemed to be extra bumps and things and wanted to do an MRI but it was too expensive. Last week I went to a new chiropractor with a PhD in bio-chemistry, a chiropractic license, and he studied some kind of energy healing in China and has adapted many kinds of wierd tools and electromagetic healing things and a cold lazer that sends certain pulsed energy into your muscles. I had a disc out of place. He used a tool on the disc through my stomach and put me on enzymes. The pain is largely gone now.

However while I was there he was checking out the pain down my right side, shot some lazers into my thigh and performed some other electromagnetic things and then went to my knee and worked on it. He said "Did you know that your Tibia is dislocated?" So he relocated it and now I can hike and hike with no knee pain. I guess if modern MDs can't heal you with a lap top yer in trouble.
Jim
Disclaimer;
The opinions expressed here are purely my own. This is just one story out of a billion, your mileage may vary and your MD may in fact actually know hoow to recognise a dislocated bone. This is neither a condemnation of MD nor specific suggestion that chiropractors are more informed.