Originally Posted By CrowKel
Originally Posted By Cstolworthy
I actually find ramen quite good when backpacking. I only make it with a half packet of seasoning. There is a LOT of sodium in them. I also typically will get a fish, and I have wild onions, tubers, etc that I find while hiking. Put it all together and you have a pretty good meal.

I HIGHLY recommend getting some books, or taking classes on foraging for food. There is an absolute abundance of it once you know what to look for!

Can you recommend some books please? I live in Alberta Canada tho,...

I wouldn't recommend that at all. Doesn't anyone remember Into the Wild? Some of those plants look a lot alike... Go foraging with someone who can tutor you in the differences between edible and non-edible plants, or take some full color, high quality prints of the edibles and their look-alikes if any, before you use that skill backpacking. Especially if you are looking for mushrooms. Very difficult to identify if you have not been with someone who can show you the differences.

Take real food if you want to spend the time hiking. You will have to choose between hiking and foraging.

http://hikeandbackpack.com