Greg, it seems most readers didn't get the point, you don't want to set up a tarp! I understand your frustration with the replies. I am also from NJ and the last I heard the Goldfinch was the state bird! Although I think a vulture would be more appropriate given NJ politics! I confirm the return policy of REI, you can even get a good deal on returned gear if you can get to one of their garage sales. I use a tarp with a "BivyBag", something REI made in the '70's it has Polarguard insulation on top with a breathable fabric. The bottom is water proof coated nylon with a sleeve for a pad. It works great. I asked REI about reintroducing this product but they have no recollection of ever selling it. (I have the REI tag for proof). I digrees, buy the bivy, try it out, experiment, if it does not keep you dry, return it and try something else. I am always making changes to my "kit". For more favaorable responses to your ultralight technique, try the BackPacking Light website: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html?id=SIEXUJYW:65.116.201.10 They camp they way you suggested to most of the time. I don't know why everyone got so testy with you here. Have fun. Do youpost your pictures anywhere?