Many backpackers tend to avoid Yosemite Valley because they are turned off by the crowds. If you simply accept that Yosemite Valley is NOT a wilderness area and actually appreciate that all sorts of people can access this outstanding scenery, you get a little less frustrated. I actually got a kick out of all the crazy people going up the Four Mile Trail. I think a few had not looked at a topo map! The cliffs are so big, that just looking up from the valley with a foreshortened view, is deceptive. Honestly, just doing a 2-day loop hike on the 12-mile valley floor loop and staying at the backpacker's campground is a spectacular hike this time of year. The farther into the wilderness is NOT necessarily the most spectacular scenery. If you go to Yosemite to "get away from people", in early season at least, you will be missing the most spectacular sites.

I again did sections of the John Muir Trail - and my perception did not change -- if not a "purist", the much more scenic start is to do the Mist Trail and then continue up the Merced River to Merced Lake where you can then take any number of trails that get you to Tuolumne Meadows. Getting soaked by Vernal Falls is a highlight, not a problem! It sure will test your rain gear!