I am way too old to care about fashion, but I do like to be neat and clean on the trail- even after 30 days. What looks good in the store may not look good after 30 days on the trail. There is just so much that can be cleaned out by rinsing in a stream. Keep this in mind when choosing clothing.

A low-profile smaller pack looks nice - and here is where you will get good advise from this forum. Ultra-light hiking packs are small. Learn to be Ultra-light and you will not have to lug an ugly big pack bag. A painful grimace on your face when lugging a big heavy pack also looks very unappealing. With a 20-pound pack you can actually smile!

The first thing about looking good is to have something that fits - and this is also high priority in function. Do not settle for something that is fashionable but fits poorly. Do not settle for something on sale that does not fit properly.

If there are bugs (mosquitoes) function out-weighs looks. Capris are usless unless you want to live in DEET every day. Long pants or zip-offs are preferable. But you do not need tons of cargo pockets. Walking with a lot of junk in pockets is very uncomfortable- not very functional. Also, mosquitoes can bite through skin-tight pants or tops.

Choose colors that wash well in cold water and hide dirt. This means white is not a good choice. Choose fabrics that do not become excessively wrinlky when hand washed. (you probabaly will have to test this at home) And be aware that some polyester stinks after a few days use. I use Shoeller climbing pants - really tough and never wrinkles. Shoeller is a material - comes in lighter weights and heavier (ski pants).

A very light-weight fun colorful scarf (maybe silk) can also be useful. Tie a colorful scarf around your head - keeps hair out of the face too. I once met a PCT hiker who wore a tie-dye stretchy mini-skirt over tights! No mosquiotes got thrugh her dreadlock hair either!

Shoes - now here function always trumps fashion. If you can find a good shoe that fits and is pleasing to you, great, otherwise get the shoe that fits and just live with this. You really need toe room - I actually think Keens look really good and are great if you can tolerate the wide heel - I cannot. For me the only shoe that fits are Merrells. Serious hikers also usually wear wool socks - Smartwool are best in my opinion. Also get shoes that fit even after feet swell at the end of the day. I use trail-runner type shoes - quit wearing boots 10 years ago. I take Crocks for camp and stream crossing shoes. Cannot beat the light weight. And lots of toe room at the end of day is heaven. And they come in a variety of colors.

I find ArcTerex clothing very well fitting and functional. Very pricy. Clouldveil is another brand that has high quality but what I think is good looking clothes. Also very pricy. Patagonia also has good gear and if something looks good you can usually count on it also being functional.

And one thing that can add lots of fashion is a classy pair of sunglasses! I personally also love baseball caps - so my pony-tail can stick out.

I guess my bottom line is that stick with the very high-end reputable gear and then pick out what they have that you like. Be very leery of no-name brand fashionable gear.

Nothing wrong with wanting fashion IF you can also meet function criteria. If not, then choose function.

And then, with what ever you wear, there is little reason you cannot stay clean and neat. I take a jump in a lake or stream every day I hike - no matter how cold. I wash my hiking shirt every day (therefore it must dry quickly). My mood is just so much better when I pay attention to personal hygiene. Even when I am out 10 days and never see another person. I stay clean to please myself, not anyone else. And if you want to do makeup - go for it -just get the stuff with sunscreen in it. I personally do not do the makeup but use the dry foaming cleaning make-up remover squares (Dove)- very light and useful.