Well, after all the snarky comments, I do wish I could be of some use to you. I feel a bit offput on your behalf... I know a few hikers who do focus on being clean and do tend to have a very put-together look. They are men, however. I wish things were simple for me as they seem to be for men - they can shave off all their hair, for example. Mine gets pretty gunky after a couple of days out even tho it's very short. I'm going to try some powder shampoo in a little bottle next time I go out a few days.

I tend to look like I have been dressed by a blind person, thanks to my complete dislike for the outrageous price tags on the synthetic t shirts and pants - I get clothes off the clearance racks at local outfitters, and have only a care for the right size and the best price. Hence my stylish olive green pant/navy blue shirt look. It gets a little better when I am able to find a tan or slate nylon long sleeve on sale - tans and browns are easy to pair up. I personally do not care about the looks as I prioritize budget and comfort over appearance every time and save my money for more critical items like sleeping bags and correctly fitted packs.

You probably have a better budget than I do, however, so for what it's worth... I would suggest to you that you hunt down tans, browns, grays and whites in hats, clothing and shoes, and look at packs like the Osprey, Gregory, Deuter or REI branded packs, the latest models are in a wide range of colors. If your clothes are neutral as you can get them, the greens and rusts and grays of the packs would work with them. Tans and neutral browns will show the inevitable trail dirt less than pastels or blues/greens. My clean freak friends tend to dress this way on purpose for that reason. Prioritize pack fit over appearance - do not try to tolerate a pack that doesn't quite fit comfortably with all your gear in - and you will do fine. Some trying on of various brands of shoes/boots should inform you better as to what sorts of hiking shoes will work for your feet. Brands like Saloman are probably not going to work for you as they all seem to be neon colored these days, but there are some decently neutral grays and browns in other brand lines like Vasque and Montrail and Merrel.

Other than this generic advice, knowing nothing about your taste and what you find appealing, I am at a loss for how to help you, thanks to the constraints of internet communication. Good luck in your quest for fashionable trail gear.

http://hikeandbackpack.com