Originally Posted By Colindo
So ill be hiking the JMT this july and Im certainly planning on taking a pole along the way. I hear fly fishing is the most successful method, but I'm interested in hearing what some of the other hikers had luck trying. I'm not the best with a fly fishing pool and I don't really have a good setup for a long distance backpacking trip, but Im willing to give anything a try. So what is some of your setups that provided fresh trout on the trail?

I am not really sure on your question.

You have a fly-rod/reel and line set-up already correct? Then apart from some terminal tackle (leaders, tippet, floatant, nippers, splitshot/putty) you don't need anything but flies.

If you are asking what flies to use-- then there in lies the beauty of fly-fishing-- there is no answer. Four different fishermen can fish the same water and catch four different fish.

I recently just purchase a Tenkara rod-- it as not arrived yet, so I can't vouch for it, but other people love it for backpacking. I currently use a traditional 9"5-4piece rod and reel and have never had a problem catching fish with such a set-up in the past decade or so.