OM- when I hiked the Lost Coast south of Shelter Cove the trail was literally covered with Banana Slugs. I tiptoed around them. I would never think of mowing down the slugs! (or slower backpackers).

I agree to each his own. I just do not agree with the blanket statement that 10 mile a day is speed hiking or that faster hikers do not "smell the roses". Through-hikers are on a different agenda, but that does not mean that they do not enjoy their surroundings.

To me the ultimate back-country experience is to really live out there - where mentally home is your tent. Unless you have been on extended travel trips, you really do not know what this feels like. When I taught at NOLS, it took my students about 3 weeks to really get to the point where thay felt the "lived" in the moment in the mountains. You no longer think about how many days left, civilized luxuries - you just become one with the environment. Regardless of speed of hiking or distance covered, I think everyone should do this once in their lifetime. Do not break the mood by going into town - have supplies brought to you by horse packers if needed.