I just finished watching the first video featured on your page -Silent Witness Presents Hiking Safety - or something, and I was utterly appalled. While the video presents some good information, it begins with a textbook example of bad rappelling technique - bounding fast (totally unnecessary and placing unnecessary stress on anchors) and without a helmet, especially bad practice on what is clearly rotten rock (the locale is obviously Arizona, an odd choice for a California hiking site). I would sincerely recommend you remove this video in order to retain credibility with your viewers.

I was prompted to chime in again because of news of a hiking fatality on Santa Cruz Island (Channel Islands National Park). A young man died from a fall on an easy day hike (Potato Harbor, usually accessed from Scorpion Harbor). The newspaper account hinted at the possible involvement of alcohol. While this angle is still under investigation, it unfortunately would not be a surprise. This incident is a textbook example of the sorts of hazards that do maim and kill folks in the outdoors - factors that are not discussed nearly as much as they should be on your site....

I agree wholeheartedly with WD - excellent post.

Edited by oldranger (05/10/10 10:26 PM)