Originally Posted By NiytOwl
Now someone is going to say that this stuff isn't meant for human use..

I'll bite. Here are some links to check out so you know a little more about how and why it works and the risks and hazards associated with using it:

EPA Fact Sheet

Wikipedia

I think you should evaluate your risks personally. If you have a strong immune system, are not taking many prescription drugs, and have a low overall exposure to other chemicals and pesticides, than permethrin might be an okay choice for you.

As for myself, I can affirm all three of the above, yet I still choose to avoid it and DEET.

I like picaridin for the same reasons as NiytOwl points out, but I'm still concerned about it's toxicity. There's not a lot of info on that.

Tick bites suck. I have quite a few right now. It's the season for them. But even using precautions, you're still likely to get tick bit here.

The best thing to do is remove ticks quickly. If you feel an itch, check if it's caused by a tick immediately. If you wait longer than 24 hours to remove a tick your exposure to Lyme disease has begun and your risk of getting it increases with time.

If you get a "Bullseye" ring around a bite, you have it and need to see a doctor for treatment. The sooner the better.

*Do Not* assume your doctor prescribed the correct treatment.

Double check your doctor's prescribed treatment to make sure it is up to date and is for the correct anti-biotic at the correct dosage.

In the rural Ozarks daily tick checks are a part of everyday life.

"You want to go where?"