In two words: HORSE DIP

You can buy it at Walmart in the pet section and it contains 15% permethrin. You can also buy a 15% solution in the insecticide aisle of most home improvement stores. Make sure it lists PERMETHRIN as the active ingredient and nothing else. Some insecticides combine permethrin with other poisons which is not good!

Now someone is going to say that this stuff isn't meant for human use, so I'm going to say DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I've been using it for at least 5 years. If you're paranoid, go buy the expensive stuff that treats just one outfit for $8. The horse dip ran me $14 and treated two outfits, bug nets, hammock, hat, and 5 pairs of socks spring/summer/fall/winter (4 treatments a year) for two years. Oh, and it kept my home spider, ant and roach free too.

Still reading? OK, now that you've got your concentrate, dilute it down to around 3% (mix one part insecticide to 4 parts water). NOTE: most of the spray on stuff is 0.5% permethrin. I suppose this it the manufacturer's way of erring on the side of caution, but the military has been using 15% permethrin solutions to treat combat fatigues for years now. I like the 3% solution as a compromise. The benefit is that one treatment lasts at least 3 months through at least 8 washings, based on personal experience.

Whatever the concentration, the treatment process is the same. Mix the stuff in something you won't ever use for food or drink (empty 2L soda bottles work). Get a container big enough for the clothing (Walmart storage bin). Do one piece at a time. Wet it down until it drips, wring it out and line dry. Make sure you wear LONG gloves and a rain parka or poncho. Doesn't hurt to have something cover your mouth too (like a dust mask) just in case you splash (and you will splash). Don't get the stuff on your bare skin, and if you do (you will), just rinse it off right away. MAKE SURE THE CLOTHING IS BONE DRY BEFORE YOU WEAR IT! Once it is dry to the touch, you might consider giving it a trip through the dryer. Thorough drying sets the permethrin in the fabric. Once dry, it does not come off the fabric, even when it is re-wetted by perspiration or washing. It actually wears off through friction and eventually loses it's effectiveness by contact with the air. I've heard some people like to wash the clothing at this point to remove any "impurities" that might be present in the insecticide. Your call, but I don't see how it can hurt to be extra safe, especially if you have sensitive skin.

You can also put the stuff in a spray bottle (or bug sprayer) to hit the bug netting and vestibule of your tent. This prevents waking up to go to the bathroom, opening the zipper and being swarmed by the mosquitoes that have congregated on your bug net. Treating the vestibule and netting keeps those shade-seeking blood suckers away from that ambush point.

My bug juice of choice is Natrapel. It's a 20% picaridin based repellent. I dislike DEET and BioUD for the way they smell, the stickiness or oiliness, and the way DEET affects plastics. Picaridin has no smell, feels the same way hairspray does when it dries on your skin, and leaves the plastic parts of my valuable electronic goodies alone.

Edited by NiytOwl (05/10/10 05:01 AM)
Edit Reason: Added info