Unfortunately you appear to be promoting some folklore (such as always wearing boots) and, even more serious, not prioritizing the hazards.

Why bears first? Since when is this the most important hazard? What about hypothermia, dehydration, navigation, what to do when lost? Aren't those more important? They certainly cause far, far more injuries and fatalities and SAR operations than do bears!

I suggest you put bears and mountain lions together at the very end (since statistically they are the least important) and compare and contrast the suggested behaviors for each. Do remember that there's a considerable difference between how to behave with a black bear and how to behave with a grizzly, and that there are no grizzlies in California.

In California, bear canisters are required for food storage in many places. Why no mention?

Ankle brace? Hiking boots? A large number of experienced hikers have made the switch from boots to trail runners and are far more comfortable. I am one of them--and have had no trouble with turned ankles (frequent problem with boots) since I switched, including on rough and rocky ground. That's because trail runners, unlike boots, provide more support for the foot itself (such as anti-pronation devices). Goretex boots, once they get wet inside, take days to dry, while wet trail runners dry in an hour or two.

Like many other women, I almost always hike alone and have never had any problems. Why is it only men (well, some men) who think we can't take care of ourselves? I do watch body language and listen to my instincts when I meet someone, especially near a trailhead, but everyone should do that, regardless of sex.

EDIT, LATER: I didn't see anything about the "Ten" Essentials or about taking enough extra clothing to stay warm and dry if caught out overnight. I didn't see anything about avoiding cotton (especially jeans) for warmth. I wrote up a safety policy for a hiking/mountaineering club some years back and those are the items I put first. I did so because these are the things that beginning hikers so often don't take with them and often come to grief because they don't have.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/03/10 05:26 PM)