My two-year-old grandson just spent the week with me. We, of course, read kids stories. That got me thinking.

Do gear manufacturers think about proportions when designing gear? For example, thinking I was so cleaver, I sewed him fleece pants using 200 wt. fleece. Great material, poor choice. The size of pants for a little one who is under 3 feet tall and 8-inch legs, makes the thicker material very cumbersome and uncomfortable.

Shoes are another example. As a small person, I find the soles on Teva sandles way too thick and stiff. When I bought kids sandles, they fit much better.

Tents and packs are big pet peeves of mine. How about tents sized for short, average and tall? JimShaw- I would die for a x-small sized Kelty Cloud! I am tolerating my TarpTent Moment, but what the heck am I going to do with all that length? My WM "short" sleeping bag fits me in length, but it appears thay just took off the bottom foot section of the bag and did not proportionately slim the bag. And my trekking poles - why do I need them to hold 250 pounds?

And do not get me going on womens trail pants. Yes, here lighter material was considered, but fashion overides function. Hiking capris? now what do I do about mosquitoes on me ankles? Drop waist - just in the location to be highly uncomfortable with a pack on. Itsy bitsy pockets - a map does not fit inside. Generously sized sleeves - forget it.

I know you big guys have similar problems. Although I think big guys are finally being heard because I think there are more of you backpacking than small people. If "volume speaks", then Hey - all you little people - get out there and backpack!