HI Will

You are getting a lot of good advice here...don't mistake that advice for criticism. You asked a question, and a lot of very experienced hikers are giving you their best thoughts. And I agree that without knowing where you are going, and for how long, it is hard to give very specific recommendations.

Here are a few of my own, based primarily on summer and fall backpacking in the high sierra:

The umbrella is something I would never carry, but Colin Fletcher swears by them. Fair enough. he hikes more in the desert than I do!

I never take a GPS--maps and compass only. Saves weight, saves money, and the maps never run out of batteries. I do use GPS when I am sailing, so I am not opposed to the concept, just the application for backpacking.

I, too, use a painting tarp for a ground cloth. Space blankets don't hold up well.

We used to take a windshield, now we use a small sheet of closed cell foam that doubles as a cushion to sit on. We use a smaller stove than you do, and we're cooking for two people. We've never taken a can opener, because we've never taken a can. WE hate Sierra Club Cups because they are completely inefficient. Plastic is SO much better in every way. And we've found that two 32oz soda pop bottles per person is plenty of water storage.

You are taking more clothes than I do. I take one long-sleeve poly undershirt, primarily to sleep in--but I'll wear it under everything if it gets cold. One short-sleeve shirt to wear all day when hiking. One fleece top that is lighter than wool, and a light nylon waterproof rainshell just in case. No fleece hat--the rain shell has a hood, and that's enough for me. No mittens, as the fleece has pockets. No long underwear bottoms. My convertible pants are both longs and shorts, do I don't take another pair of anything except nylon swim trunks (also used to sleep in). No rain paints...but I like your flip flops. I take a pair of Crocs that I wear around camp, and to cross streams. I love them.

I don't take the large bucket--although I bought one once. Just never found a need for it. No lighter--I take matches. I don't take a signal mirror, but I do take a water filter (Katadyn) instead of the iodine. And my flashlight is a tiny headlamp that weighs about two ounces. And I only take a very short strip of duct tape, wrapped around my fly-rod tube. I use the sewing kit all the time.

I agree about copying the guidebook pages...but my wife always takes at least one book to read, sometimes two!

As for food, you have a lot of cans here, and cans weigh a lot. I prefer dried salamis and hard cheeses to canned fish...they taste fresher, and don't require extra packaging.

For my full list, and thoughts on all these subjects, you can check out more on our website.

Hope you have a great trip!

I do take both a washrag and a towel.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963