I have thought about the cost vs weight and figured it would be much more enjoyable to spend a little more money for quality things that will last and provide the best experience while I am out there. I hiked to havasu pai about 2 years ago (right before it was flooded and closed) and it was a bad hike because I had heavy crappy gear. I think I would enjoy things much more if I could enjoy my surroundings instead of constantly thinking about how uncomfortable I was. I also kinda like the idea of seeing how much weight I can trim off. The last time I camped I was cold and uncomfortable (in OR). I just moved to VA and left behind my bag and pad and since I am going camping next week I figured it was time to get some new (much better) gear. For the last week or so I have spent about 5 hours a day checking the forums and camping gear...i love researching stuff! And like Cutlery Knives, Speakers, mattresses, and a few other things it is worth putting in the money to get the best you think you will need since they will last a very long time.

As for the tent, as Mark Verber said "I could easily live without my "walls", but the walls give me psychological comfort that makes the trip more enjoyable." There is just something about being in a tent that I like. Granted I am new to this game and may find I will become more comfortable with a tarp in the future. For now though I am all about a tent. (that is another reason I figure spending money on light things will be good...since I know I will want a few more extra things that will add some weight.)

Edited by forsciguy (04/18/10 12:25 AM)