Since you're not sure what you want in a tent (other than, obviously, rain protection), I suggest you borrow/rent/share a tent for a while and look at what's out there (among the backpackers, not the car campers who don't carry their tents on their backs). Look through the links of sponsors for this site and see the variety of tents they carry. Do remember that for most standard tents, the weight does not include the stakes, so is definitely understated! (Plenty of skulduggery among the big gear manufacturer, as everywhere!)

Some of the decisions you have to make are: how many persons, seasons of use, single wall vs. double wall, free-standing or not (remember that you have to stake a freestanding tent down anyway or it will leave--with your gear--in the next strong wind), weight. I hope that by now you've read the articles and gear lists I linked to on the home page here to get some idea of what you should look for in a backpacking tent.

My personal preference is for a lightweight single-wall tent with plenty of ventilation, such as the Tarptent Contrail (one person, 1 1/2 lbs.) or the Tarptent Squall 2 (2-person, 2 lbs.). Both of these have been around quite a while, so have stood the test of time. There are plenty of good used ones listed on the various backpacking forums as people with more $$$ to spend switch to newer models. My own experience with double-wall tents was that they are claustrophobic, too heavy and even more prone to condensation when closed up. Actually, if it weren't that I insist on a bug-free space for my dog as well as me, I'd probably switch to a tarp instead of a tent. If it were just me (no dog) I'd use a tarp and a bug net, but I haven't yet found a bug bivy that will work for the two of us! ChrisFol above has a link to an excellent tarp. Of course, that's my personal preference. As we often say here, YMMV--Your Mileage May Vary! Also, if you're planning to backpack in winter (I don't), you'll need something that can take more of a snow load.

Just for fun, I googled "hiking clubs huntington wv" and came up with this site showing three hiking/backpacking groups in West Virginia. They might be a good place to start to meet other backpackers and find people to go on trips with who can loan or share gear. They can also help you find a decent outfitter with knowledgeable staff. Perhaps some of our members in your area (I'm rather far away!) can help.