Originally Posted By skinnyskier2112
Thanks for all the great responses! To answer those who were asking about what I was using for sleeping:

Bag: Marmot Arroyo
Pad: Thermarest Neoair
Tent: MSR Carbon Reflex 2

I didn't even think about the fact that the heat loss could come from below. I think though I would have been quite a bit warmer if I simply wore one heavier layer over my base and put the Balaclava on the whole night instead of after I woke up cold for the 3rd time or so. The temps got ~ 10 degrees colder than forecasted so I wasn't really expecting it!

On the matter of clothing I wore synthetic gear this past outing mainly for its quick drying abilities. Is polyester fine for hiking? I think investing in a light compactible down jacket may be a good idea if I continue having problems with the cold.

On longer trips, if you're hiking with other people, do you ever wash your hiking clothes? I'd be a little worried about being smelly if I brought 1 shirt.

The NeoAir may be the cause of your cold nights. While others have said they can stay warm on theirs below freezing, others need another pad to use in conjunction with their NeoAir. I would suggest looking at a cheap ridgerest or a piece of z-lite to place under your NeoAir.

The problem with wearing one heavy layer, rather than multiple lighter layers is that you could very easily overheat and that is just as bad. You then take off the heavy layer and the cold saps your warm body moisture and leaves you cold.

I find the key is to know your own body-- put on a layer before you get cold and not after! Take off a layer before you become too warm and not after!

Synthetic clothing is fine. My favorite base layers are Capilene polyester. Down provides better warmth, is generally lighter and more compressible, but is often more expensive and is not something that is truly needed-- people have been keeping warm with fleece jackets and synthetic jackets such as primaloft work just as well, for a fraction of the cost.

As for being smelly-- meh, I only ever bring two shirts, so if I do need to wash one I have another to wear and it also serves double duty for creating additional insulation. For shorter trips, 4 days or less, I can get by with just one shirt, depending on the forecast.

Edited by ChrisFol (04/13/10 12:24 PM)