Hey Lori, seriously come on up and BP with me in the Three Sisters Wilderness. smile I do not own a kilt but I can atleast get your fire lit for you... laugh

I like to play with fire too, when I'm not in a hurry. I like to play with flint and steel and such, like I enjoy flaking arrowheads sitting on a rock by a lake, smile but its a fun thing to do and not really a necessary part of camping [ read un-necessary weight for no good purpose]. A BIC throws perfectly good sparks even if the fuel is cold or gone, put it in your pocket of hold it in your hand for a minute and it will out perform an $80 Calibri lighter. Two BICS is as close to a perfect full proof fire starting system as modern technology can devise.

Dryer lint, cotton balls with vasoline etc etc are fun toys in dry country. I live in rain forest country where only my snowpeak gigatorch at 15,000 btu plus can get a fire lit. So play with your fire strikers, but be aware that they only work under ideal circumstances and therefore do not qualify as real survival tools. Daniel Boone really liked his though, and he loved his Bowie knife and musket too. Sometimes I go on "primitive camping trips". I even have leather thong to tie my food into a tree, an obsidian knife with a deer antler handle, and a coon skin cap, but I'm not gonna try to tell you that its important camping gear.
check out my post on de-child proofing a BIC in general discussion.

Edited by Jimshaw (03/31/10 01:56 AM)