After a few days of in-the-house testing, I have decided to return my Montrail women's AT Plus shoes (supposedly a reincarnation of the old Hardrock per Montrail customer service, but, IMHO, that's baloney). The first pair were too big at size 10, so I ordered a 9 1/2. These fit except that they are far too wide in the heel, enough to make my heels tender even just walking around the house. Obviously the AT Plus has a completely different last than the 2007 Hardrocks that fit me perfectly in a size 10. Whether the AT Plus fit others depends on your feet. I have weird feet with very narrow heels plus fallen arches, bunions and hammertoes which require a narrow heel, a wide and high toe box, plus considerable arch support. I just wish I had bought half a dozen pair of the 2007 Hardrocks while they were still available!

After much online searching, I found a pair of 2008 Hardrocks in a wide width, which fit quite well. Their heels are narrower than those of the B-width AT Plus! They will be my next hiking shoes after my 2007 Hardrocks (still in good shape, fortunately) disintegrate. Unfortunately they were the last ones I could find online, or I would order several more pair! (For those women who wear size 5 or 6, there are still plenty available, the best deal being at Sierra Trading Post. I also found a pair of the 2007 Hardrocks in a 5, not much help since I need a 10.) The 2008s aren't quite as supportive as the 2007s (require additional arch support) but are far, far better than the bedroom-slipper-like women's 2009s.

For those like Phat who do like the 2009 Hardrocks, the Hardrock model is being discontinued, so you might want to stock up while they're still available.

I can get an excellent fit in New Balance women's shoes made with their SL-2 last plus motion control (1011 or 1012). Unfortunately, they make only road running shoes with this last and don't have the equivalent (or the motion control feature) in trail runners. I am a bit dubious about taking the relatively smooth soles or the 1011 or 1012 out on our steep, muddy Columbia Gorge trails. There's enough corrugation on the sole to pick up and cling to dog poop that I've missed in my back yard, but IMHO not enough for a good grip in slippery mud, especially at the heel end.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/29/10 10:43 PM)