Thanks for all the replies!

I'd just like to clarify - the original purpose of this list wasn't for one single trip. Looking at my post - I see I didn't really say it that way...Either way - I've been camping a few times and loved it (car camping that is) - and am hoping that backpacking will turn into something I do for years to come. The list is more like the "everything I would need for backpacking"...not the "everything I would need for one trip."

I've got a GPS - and really don't know how to use a map with a compass. I know that the compass reads north and how to tell what direction I'm going - but as far as being able to tell where I'm at on the map - that's another story. Probably best bet for me would be to bring extra batteries and be really careful with my GPS. lol. The first few trips I'll being going on - I'll be going short distances and down some regularly used trails, so hopefully I'll be able to get a little experience finding my way before really taking off into the unknown. So I could definitely eliminate those items until I learn how to use them.

As far as weight goes - I see your point. I've been doing a lot of shopping and it's a lot of work weighing the cost vs. quality vs. lightness of all the different gear...but I am being conscious of it all.

I just ordered my first pair of hiking boots...the first piece of my gear list. Hopefully it won't take too long to save up and get the rest. I'll be sure to post pics once I get it going.

Thanks again!

Edited by wesarnold (03/25/10 07:41 AM)