Originally Posted By billk
I think I may have asked this question a few years ago, but I see lots of new names (I haven't been here regularly lately)on the forum, so here goes:

I've always had packs with at least a few pockets, either commercial or homemade, but I notice that many of the lighter packs have very few. To those of you who use near-pocketless packs, where do you put your little stuff? I'm thinking of headlamp, knife, compass, sunblock, first aid kit, fire starter, lip balm, bug dope, stuff like that.

I use a G4. In the outside mesh pocket I will stash my rain gear, fleece hat and fleece gloves. My small items (Headlamp, FAK, Toiletries, Skin care, waterproof matches, duct-tape and 50ft spectra cord) are organized into ziplocks and go into what I call my ditty bag, which is a 4L Sea2Summit Ultra-Sil drybag.

Hydration and Filtration consists of two 2L platypus, MicroPur tabs and the Frontier pro, this is very packable on the outside of the pack with rubber bands to stop it all unfolding.

Primary firestarter is a mini-bic and can be found within my cook pot, along with the stove, windscreen, bandana and other cooking items. This all nests together without a problem.

Sleeping bag and night clothes all get stored in a S2S 13L Ultra-Sil drybag. Day clothes get stored in an 8L drybag of the same brand. Food is stored in an applicable container for the area.

Knife, map and compass I carry on me.

Edited by ChrisFol (03/16/10 01:07 PM)