Originally Posted By Jimshaw
phat
As I suspect you know, I own both the Coleman Powermax stoves, the Xtreme and the Xpedition (doubleburner) and they use liquid feed of propane butane mix and I've used mine at -5 F and it worked great. I'm pretty sure it would still work at -20, but you'd have to add some heat reflected back on the fuel bottle to work much colder. White gas or kerosene are the preferred cold weather stoves but I hate the smell of kerosene burning so I'd use white gas in my old MSR XGK.

Yeah, kind of a shame about the PowerMax being so proprietary. I normally like white gas but I have three white gas stoves (Borde Bomb, SVEA 123, and MSR Whisperlite). I also have an old style MSR XGK but that one pretty much stays permanently with the kerosene jet in it, because my late hunting season spike camp kit includes kerosene lanterns (I'm not keen on the smell of kero, but like the *silence* of a kerosene lantern in a wall tent so i can hear the wolves at night) so I'm just as content to take kero for the stove that makes the coffee.
Browse my pictures