skippy:

I'm not sure I've converted anyone but I've sure tried. When I proselytize on OUL (Orthodox-Ultralightism), I've noticed that after about 15 minutes that most of their eyes have glazed over and they've got their head on auto-nod. Soon after that and they're telling me they've got to deliver some old TV Guides to their grandmother that I know passed away the year before.

I did have some luck when I took three neophytes bp'ing last fall on a piece of the CT. I outfitted all of them with gear used during my gradual evolvement to lighter backpacking, with the son of a friend getting the raw end of the deal by inheriting my oldest, heaviest gear. I, of course, had the newest & lightest of my stuff. We divided up the food and water equally, and I had them lift and try on the different packs at the trailhead.

Evolvement of OUL Man, from early stages to modern times (six months ago -- I've got a Neoair now.) Unfortunately, in example, OUL Man's brain capacity did not increase with drop in carrying load.

My three companions on the hike were shocked by the difference in weight, along with doing some jealous grumbling over how much lighter my pack was. But by the end of the hike they were saved. wink

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)