Hi Jimshaw! The water bladder works great. But you do have to be careful in winter with freezing hoses. Either Camelback or MSR make an insulation tube for the hoses. MSR makes a great bladder that I use for winter. It's covered in a nylon that makes it more bomb proof. Of course, if you fall a few hundred yards and landed on your back right on your bladder on rocks, it probably will break.

The brands of Camelback and MSR bladders are the best as far as I am concerned. I used another brand, I forget it's name, and it did leak, wasn't fun. Luckily it was summer and I didn't have a frozen clothes problem.

When washing out the bladder, do not use soap, I repeat, do not use soap. Soap weakens the plastics and the washer in the lid will leak. I didn't know that and on a mountain bike trip, my bladder leaked at the lid. Couldn't fill it all the way up. The plastics are made with something that inhibits mold growth. But when you get home, wash it out with warm water and dry completely. Camelback makes hangers you can dry it with or just turn it upside down and use a coat hanger with clips and hang over the shower or tub. There is space between the lid and the edge, you'll need to use a wash cloth to sop up the water that drips down. Usually by the next morning, it's dry.

I use my bladder for late spring, summer and early fall hiking/climbing. You have water ready all the time and you don't have to worry about trying to hike and drink water. There are clips that you can hook the hose to your chest strap and it's only 2 inches away. It's easier to stay more hydrated that way.

Try it out, you'll like it! I was skeptical at first and now I love it.
Cheers!
Patty