Originally Posted By hikenc9
Originally Posted By hikenc9
Would this sleeping bag do well as a 3-season bag in and around Oregon, Idaho, Washington, and Cal? I have no experience with the climate in those areas.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ind...mp;ContentId=17

So here's the deal. Right now I'm not super extreme right now.. so I won't be going out in temperatures at 0 degrees. In this case I think I will be doing a lot of backpacking in these areas (including the mountains) starting in March and lasting through November. Maybe those months will be stretched a little; I have no experience with the mountains in the west. My goal is to increase my backpacking time throughout the year as much as possible with 2 bags.

Right now my budget is only two bags with only one of them being WM. I can’t afford two right now even though I would love to. My bag for colder conditions will be a WM for sure (probably 5 - 10 degree?). I have a friend that can get me a real good deal on a Marmot bag so I'll get that for the warmer temps. Not sure what degree rating.

Any suggestions on 2 bags that would help me?

Thanks

If you are looking for two bags to cover 3-seasons then I would purchase high quality +10 to +20 degree bag from Monbell, Feathered Friends, WM. This would give you a great range through the shoulder seasons when the temps could be cooler and could even extend your stay into early winter. I would then purchase a cheap (less than $100) summer, +35 to +45 degree bag for when all you really need is something to cover you.

The other way you could go is with a 3-season bag (+15 to +25) and a winter bag-- this system would let you be out all year round. In this instance I would purchase a quality winter bag and a cheap down 3-season bag like a Kelty Lightyear +20. In the colder temps you can just layer your clothing and be comfortable and in the warmer temps you should be fine since a cheap bag is usually rated generously. A winter bag is then used for the really cold conditions, thus making you a two bag system that you can use 12 months of the year.

Edited by ChrisFol (03/10/10 02:58 PM)