I know of nobody who I hike with who hikes as light as I do, and I *don't* hike very lightweight. (or at least, I don't think so). I have helped a number of people get into the sport, with gear that doesn't weigh a ton.

I prefer to help people "see the light" of just getting outside and enjoying themselves. if having a lighter pack helps them do that comfortably and safely, great.. But you can get a newbie a very long way towards being comfortable start with such things and a little experience with just reasonable lighter choices of
mass market gear that aren't totally stupid.

Far more important is teaching them how to use them and be comfortable in them (both in terms of physical comfort, and the mental comfort of knowing that, well, they can handle it and it will be fun and not suck, even if it does rain).

But as far as convincing *existing* hikers to "see the light" - well, only in small doses. Most of my experienced friends pick up on a few of my "tricks" some not so much. I still hike with friends who carry whisperlights and heavy water filters. I think they're nuts, they think I'm nuts, and we're very happy that way smile
Browse my pictures