Originally Posted By oldranger
The "official" word on solo trips is always - dangerous, no room for error, can't advise you do this.

And then we all turn around and do it. But the precautions mentioned can make it a lot safer. The advent of the PLB can potentially help.

The attractions and rewards of a solo trip are worth the risk.

Actually, I don't claim soloing is particularly dangerous and in spite of all our warnings, there is room for error. My last trip is an example of that. It is more about knowing what you can or can't do. You can be two miles from a trailhead and it will feel like the most remote place on earth if you are alone. It is a unique experience and not for everyone. Having a companion can be a great comfort or an annoying burden. Depends on who they are.

Being with some people could be more dangerous than being alone. The only time I got hurt in years of scuba diving was when I was with someone I knew I never should have gone diving with. Fortunately, he did help me get out of the sticky situation he got us into without too much damage. The lesson there is to go with people you know and trust and don't let anyone talk you into something you know seems sketchy.