[Jim, I messed up and accidentally "edited" your post when replying to it. ARGH. if you have the old one please repaste or PM it to me and I'll fix it..

My reply:

I think we disagree here. I think everybody has to start someplace. Yes, it's best if solo is not your *first* trip, but solo is very feasable for a relative newcomer, or "backcountry beginner" in the right setting.

Put it this way, with appropriate precautions (what I've previously mentioned) I'd have no trouble with my conscience sending a newbie who has spent a few trail nights to understand their gear, weather, and how to not walk off the trail and get lost down and established trail in the rockies, like for example, skyline in jasper. it's 3 days, there are others on it, its' fun, and very doable by a soloer with little risk.

Would I send them into say, route finding through chown valley, or limestone lakes? heck no. But there are appropriate places for newcomers to take solo trips as long as they understand the risks and how to mitigate them by not doing anything really stupid. In that context the biggest danger to your health in solo backpacking is driving there. In the end it's just walking.
Browse my pictures