phat doesn't think we should discuss the reality of solo backpacking in the Beginners group and I agree. So, how many of you who consider yourselves experienced solo backpackers follow safety guidelines, carry the ten essentials, stay off rock, tell people where you are going, carry PLBs, first aid or any of the stuff that we tell beginners to do? Do you feel that your experience makes up for what you leave behind, or do you simply not carry it/do it because you carried/did it for a long time and found that it was never required/used?

I don't have any matches, compass, fire accelerators, PLB cell phone or other electronic devices besides my GPS. No one knows where I go or what I do and I do very dangerous things while I'm there. My first aid kit consists of band aids and Tylenol with a couple vicodins and ear plugs. I also have 40 years of experience doing what I do. I solo 5.9 rock for example, while alone three days hike off trail. I don't feel unsafe doing this or sleeping in mountain lion country. I also happen to have a very healthy respect for avalanche, crevasse, stream crossing etc.

If I may be so bold, when I was a boy scout, sorry phat, we had tender feet, second class scouts and first class scouts. In the wild west "scouts meant" something different, it meant people with the experience and expertise to lead inexperienced people through wild country where common folk did not know the pitfalls, couldn't shoot rattlesnakes between the eyes from a horse or speak sign language to Indians. I submit that you need a lot of experience before you graduate to the level of "scout" and if yer not one, you shouldn't be off trail in wilderness alone.

Since this is being edited for spelling I will add this: There is a whole lot to learn before you are safe off trail alone. I personally do not feel comfortable on glaciers or around grizzlies and because I do not have that experience, I would avoid those situations while backpacking solo. Some places are just a walk in the park, others require actual skill.
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (03/02/10 10:44 PM)