Originally Posted By Jimshaw

However I am appalled at the prices for down jackets. I just don't think 300 to 500 dollars for a jacket is reasonable when you can get one for under 100. If you are willing to pay $50 per ounce of pack lightening, then go for it. When money was no object to me I was willing to pay $10 per ounce to lighten my pack and gear.
Jim

I agree Jim, I make a very comfortable living and yet I am still unwilling to spend all that money on one jacket, even though I could easily afford to. The only down jacket I own is a $40 (got it during one of their outwear sales) Eddie Bauer Yukon Vest and I am more than satisfied with it.

In fact the only items that I have paid full-retail price for are my +20 and zero degree Feathered Friend bags which I shelled out around $1,000 for-- and I would do it again tomorrow if I had to. I also paid full-retail price for my summer bag, but that is cheap synthetic one that cost me less than $100.

However, even with sleeping bags, the money that I spent is unneeded to enjoy the outdoors. My father-in-law still carries an old 4-5lb REI bag and an 6lb framed Kelty Trekker pack and my wife is quite happy with her $200 Marmot Angel Fire and they are just fine.

Just because something is so expensive, doesn't necessarily mean that you need it to enjoy the hobby.

Edited by ChrisFol (03/01/10 12:01 PM)