You've collected advice based on years of experience already so I'll talk a bit about style and ask that you consider what kind of experience you want from your solo trip.

You can already see a big difference in styles in the replies to your question. Everyone here has tailored their gear based on their style.

If you read some of Jim Shaw's previous post you'll see that he's well prepared for the style he touched on here.

OregonMouse mentioned some of the things she does and her style as well, which includes considering family members and that is an important point. Try not to leave family and close friends sitting on pins and needles the entire time you're out there.

TomD mentioned weather, which helps me bring up my style... I don't go unless the forecast is perfect. Like Tom, I don't want a "Survival" experience, perfect weather is a lot more fun wink

For me, going to sleep the first night out is always tough, and it's the only real thing I've found that is tough. This has a lot to do with enjoying the sounds in the forest at night. It's a lot easier each successive night though. By the third night I'm usually sleeping like a baby and then I have to come home frown

Going solo is a blast. I've found some cool spots roaming around alone following my only my senses and intuition. I've found springs and creeks by listening and hearing the water trickling. I've found creekbeds lined with Witch Hazel by smelling their blossoms from the ridgetops, and stumbled upon wild berries and grapes in huge quantities. I've peeked into caves on and below limestone bluffs that no one I know has ever heard of.

aimless mentioned about learning what a fool oneself really is. I think I'll be more cautious about peeking into caves and crevices from now on. A couple years ago I peeked into one and saw a bear peeking back at me. This was really stupid on my part because I'd smelled that bear's gas twice in the half hour or so before I stuck my nose in that crevice. blush

Still, I was smart enough not to waste any time putting some distance between me and that bear and learning is the fun part of doing it.

Let us know how your first solo trip goes!

Bill

"You want to go where?"