I mostly backpack solo. I actually find it more risky to hike with a group, because I'm really pushing my limits trying to keep up with them, including scrambling through places I would normally avoid. I also find solo hiking a lot more pleasant. However, I do try to stick to the more populated trails, so that if something should happen there will be someone coming along soon. At least that was true until I bought a Personal Locator Beacon. I still avoid risks (no difference there--an accident at my age [74] would mean a permanent end to my hiking career). However, with the PLB I will go to less populated areas and, when possible, get farther off the trail to camp. I will also do a limited amount of easy off-trail hiking. I wouldn't recommend these unless you already have a lot of off-trail navigation experience gained from working with groups. And the PLB can be used only in a life-or-death emergency, so it is no substitute for careful attention to safety, navigation or being fully prepared. Nor is it a substitute for leaving your itinerary with a trusted friend or relative and sticking to it, something that is extra important if you go out alone.

Jim, does your SO know what you're doing when you're out solo?

Edited by OregonMouse (02/27/10 07:12 PM)