One thing to consider is the "heebie-jeebies." Being in the woods alone is different than being in the woods with a companion. The first time out, be prepared for reactions you didn't expect: that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach ("Did I miss the trail intersection? Shouldn't I have crossed a creek by now?"), that vague concern whispering in the back of your mind ("What if I break a leg or sprain an ankle? Should I have brought extra food in case I get lost?"), and the lying-awake-at-night ("What was that? Are there bears around here? Did I hang the food bag downwind of the tent? What was that? Will my car be OK at the trailhead? What if someone needs to contact me? What was that?")

It's extremely unlikely that any of those fears will actually materialize - just be prepared for your mind to try to play tricks on you. After you've gone out once or twice alone, this all stops. You might want to stick to a trail you know well for you first solo trip, and you might want to make it a one or two-nighter, rather than a week.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Glenn (02/27/10 03:47 PM)