Tom - Was the shop you got them cooked at a regular alpine ski shop or a place the sells telemark gear? I ask because a shop that doesn't deal in tele gear may not have much experience in fitting backcountry ski boots - which you want to fit differently than a downhill boot. I have excursions, and I have feet that are hard to fit, and I got a great fit at the Marmot store in Berkeley, where they sell lots of tele gear. I have not only toured lots of miles in my excursions, but I've had to walk quite a few miles on dry ground as well, going to and from the trailhead and the skiable snow, and I never have a problem. The guy that did mine spent a lot of time building up a toecap so I had the right amount of space up there, and generally put a lot of work into it. It may be that your foot just isn't a Garmont foot, as they say, but it might be that you got a bad molding job. It has certainly happened before. I don't know whether there are any tele-specific shops in your area. A query on Ttips would be useful in that regard. You can definitely re-mold a few times with those liners, so if that is the issue then there is hope in that direction.
If you can get a good mold job, you won't have to crank down tight to keep things from moving around - to me that's a sign that the fit isn't right. Whether you can correct that with a re-mold is a question that only an expereinced tele boot fitter can answer for you.
One thing is for sure - light boots, heavy boots, in between - if they don't fit (and can't be molded to fit) they are the wrong boots.