Originally Posted By rionada
I'm going to have to agree with Keith. I've owned several high quality synthetic bags and none lasted more than a year (I did use them alot - roughly every other weekend and more). They were from reputable manufacturers (Sierra Designs and North Face - from when NF was good) and I was able to return them when they lost their loft. I eventually talked them into a swap for down bags. That was 15 years ago and I still own those down bags and they still function wonderfully. I have since switched to a WM Ultralight to save weight.

If you don't use them too much and you store them properly - I'm sure that you'll get your moneys worth out of the synthetic bag, but over the long haul I think down wins the race.

rionada

I too agree with the loss of loft and warmth of synthetic bags, well, the ones I have owned.

The last one was great for the first year I had it. It was a 40F bag for bicycle camping. I stored it in the large storage sack I had. Cost about $60.

The second year, it was cold, and the loft had decreased.

I wasn't able to get any refund or adjustment from the manufacturer, but the dealer took it in as a "return" and I got back some of my money.

The down summer bag I got from SteepAndCheap was just $100 or so and I still use it more than 5 years later.

$60 for 1 year. minus the "refund" SYNTHETIC
$100 for 5 years and still going strong DOWN