I have a different perspective on the whole healthcare thing -- emergency or not -- from having just been in Thailand for 2 weeks visiting my son.

There, pharmacists can prescribe. And guess what? It works. They are a civilized country and have no higher level of people dying from wrong prescriptions than we do here.

My point being that the assumptions we are basing our decisions here really need some serious re-examination.

For myself, I'm going to render aid. Should I get into a situation I'll do what in my reasonable judgement seems best for the preservation of life. If someone sues me later,so be it. It may take the violation of decent normal people by the legal system in order for change to happen. The people who started this country endured a lot more. This is how totalitarianism develops -- sanctions against the citizenry that folk understandably avoid. The gotcha is that it is a disease that gets progressively more draconian.

Utmost respect to anyone who chooses differently. There is definitely a cost to be counted.

Jim, your raising this question is fully understandable and has been helpful. You have been personally rubbed raw by events and I'm sorry for that. Not just sorry, but outraged that you lose your home and fat cats collect bonuses way beyond the level of need or reasonable reward. To continue to be a gracious person under difficult circumstances is a battle that I'm grateful to see you are continuing to wage.