In July, an alcohol stove will probably work fine. However, if pack weight is an issue, you might find that a small canister stove will save some weight. Whether it will or not depends on how much fuel you'll be using: if you're only boiling a couple cups of water for supper, the canister might be lighter. However, if you're cooking 3 hot meals a day, and planning on cocoa in the evening, and a hot wash-up each night, to the point that you'll need two or three canisters, the alcohol stove and fuel will probably be lighter.

I've used both; in the summer, it really doesn't seem to matter a whole lot which you use.

For pads, you have two choices: closed cell foam or inflatable. The easy, safe default is Thermarest: the Ridgerest (closed cell) or any of the self-inflating models. (You could also use an REI-brand Thermarest clone and save some money.) The Prolite Plus series is really nice and pretty light, but pricey; they have some other "trail" models that are less expensive, but heavier. For summer, a three-quarters length pad (48 inches) is usually long enough; put your empty pack or some clothes under your lower legs and feet.

There are other pad choices out there, too - I'm sure others will jump in to recommend them. (For what it's worth, my current pad of choice is a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad.)

Edited by Glenn (02/22/10 03:13 PM)