Cook said
"Jim, don't dismiss sleds quite so fast. They work really well under certain conditions. They don't work so well if you have to go sideways on hills. They don't work so well if you have a narrow, twisty trail. They work really, really well if you are traveling over mostly flat ground like a frozen lake. They work well even for significant hills if you have wide trails. Even at 30 lbs or under, I'd rather have a properly packed sled for those conditions than a pack. I can go much farther with less exertion. Keep the weight low and centered and the sled won't tip."

My friend and I ski camp in the mountains of the west, which was clearly stated. I was completely diss'd by the trekkers group to even write about mountain ski camping with a light weight pack. Why do you northern flatland sled campers travel on frozen water and level snow? Because its the only way you can get into the back country and you are limited to those frozen highways. Did you ever try draging your sled cross country up and down hills? No - because it wouldn't work and would take too much energy. Your method works in your area, it is not universally applicable. Did you ever try to drag your sled through deep fresh snow? Carrying a lightweight pack on skis gives you the ability to get into where you want, and to get back out, regardless of the snow conditions. I have dragged sleds and dragged sled wearing a pack, and skiing with a light pack allows you to "ski" rather than being a draft animal. On snowshoes it is also different.

So the methods you use in Minnesota are not really too useful in the western mountains where we NEVER travel on frozen water. We also do not use hot tents.
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (02/22/10 01:05 AM)