You're lucky you didn't camp where the bears are very canny and determined. You're not supposed to tie a rope to a canister. It gives the bears something to hold onto and the bears in Yosemite especially will jump out off trees and grab the bag/canister, breaking the rope and probably the branch. That's defeating the whole purpose of the canister. If you're going to hang a bag is lighter to carry! Hanging is for bags, putting the canister on the ground with nothing tied to it and the lid fastened properly is the right way to use a canister.

It is NOT odor proof - that's not the point of them either. It's also not ant proof, they will crawl in between the threads of the lid. Nor is it waterproof. I put mine in the hollow where a tree has fallen so the bear can't do more than roll it around, or in a crevasse under a rock, as far from inclines or water as I can get it - and at least 20-50 feet from camp. Sometimes I put a rock or pine cone or pot on it so I know if it's been touched.

Sorry to sound all lecture-y and scolding, but improperly stored food will in some areas not just get your food lost to bears, it will potentially contribute to the death of a bear and a big fine for you - national parks will ticket you if a bear gets your food. Please use food storage containers in the manner intended. It saves bears. I applaud your efforts to do what you thought was necessary - that's more than the careless people who don't even think about it do, the ones who made bear canisters necessary in the first place by letting bears steal their food and get used to easy calories.

http://hikeandbackpack.com