Originally Posted By DJ2
Wow, that is a disturbing story.

Would your personal liability insurance (the stuff that we have with a home owner's insurance policy) have covered you if the suit had proceeded?

The answer is yes, at least in Texas, as long as you are not a paid professional. Because of my involvement as a rescue diver for the dragboat races, I have attached an unbrella policy to my homeowners. I did this right after being involved (not named) in a lawsuit, where a driver crashed his boat and sued the association, the promoter, and the major sponsor of the event.

It has also been interpreted by some states supreme courts, that a person can not forfeit his families right to sue. In one case, a Scuba diver that had signed a waiver, and died while diving the Andrea Doria. The NJ state supreme court decided that while he did in fact sign away his own right to sue, he could not forfeit his wife's or daughter's right to sue. Amazingly, this attitude closely follows the red vs blue state lines.