Originally Posted By Cstolworthy
Ok, so after researching the options here I am torn between the MSR Miniworks and the Platypus CleanStream Gravity Filter.

I really like the idea of the gravity fed system. However some of the reviews I am reading say while the water is clean it can come through discolored and a little brackish tasting. Really that (for me at least) is the biggest reason I lean more to the MSR.

Can anyone confirm / deny this claim? If it is true, does anyone have any experience rigging another filter inline to clean up the taste / color?

If the color is due to suspended particulate matter, your filter will get it.

If the color is due to dissolved organic molecules (i.e. tannins) your filter isn't going to filter it. Activated charcoal or zeolite might take it out by biding up to it to make it look clearer - some filters include modules like this in their cartriges - they also wear out and are of course, bigger and heavier. It also doesn't matter. I've drank coffee coloured water that was perfectly sweet and nice.

As for "brackish" - that usually means salty, like from an estuary. No filter is going to take salt out of water.

F'rinstance - Wonderful tasting water - a couple weeks ago:

Browse my pictures