Yeah, I have to agree with TomD here. I don't think I've ever taken any real risks when I've been hiking or backpacking. Like phat said, it's just walking.

I think that pointing out how to avoid and minimize real risks should be a main objective when advising a beginner. Experience is what gives one insight to do that.

I don't do many trail hikes. I don't climb snow covered mountain peaks or cliff faces either. I bushwhack around inside the forests where there are no trails. My insight is pretty much limited to what you might expect where I've done that, how I did it, and the gear I used.

Based on that, I think I'm qualified to advise against heading off into the Ozark Forests in the middle of August. People still do it though. A lot of them never go backpacking again. The risk of death is very low. The chances of being miserable are pretty good though wink

Your first experience tends to stick with you. I think we owe it to beginners seeking advice that what we offer helps ensure their trip will be safe and enjoyable.

"You want to go where?"