Hi, I'm a beginner and joined this forum and the Appalchian Mountain Club to increase my knowledge on backpacking and camping. I've just turned 58 and have a lot of interests that create a foundation to build on. I sail, day hike, run, used to flat water canoe race, orienteer, and car camp, etc. etc.

Have been around the block a bit I believe in everything in moderation. After awhile what is considered moderation has seemed to grow. Just finished a good book "Not Without Peril" about the history of people's misfortunes on Mt. Washington. It appears that a cross section of people find themselves in trouble, from ignorant novices, overconfident experienced people, the unlucky, and the incredibly lucky. Granted the experienced person is less likely to succomb to some of the more common misfortunes of the inexperienced person in the backcountry. But some do look for greater challanges to test or expand their skills that a beginner wouldn't consider trying. Its gambling with the law of averages, even with experience increasing your odds. You wont find me ice climbing unless my plane crashed on the mountain.

You can't learn to swim by reading about it, you have to get wet. Just don't try to go out to the diving raft till you learn to swim. There is always a level of risk when learning something new, just remember everything in moderation.

Sorry to ramble on, this is my first ever post to a forum. Should have listen to my own advice on moderation, see you around.

Edited by Burka (01/29/10 11:47 PM)