Trails: if you're not set on doing an entire long trail in one season, I think a nice middle ground might be to bite off a big chunk, bigger than a section, less than "the whole thing". For the PCT, a great way to start might be the state of Oregon, more or less. Start at Ashland, hike to the Columbia River (or vice versa). Thru-hikers find Oregon to be pretty good cruising country (overall good trail, less discretionary elevation changes), and there are interesting things to see, like the Jefferson Wilderness, you walk close to Mt. Hood, Eagle Creek alternate route at the north end, Crater Lake towards the south end.

Gear: The one thing that stands out for me in your list is the boots; certainly some long distance hikers wear boots, but these days the majority wear some sort of breathable, quick-drying shoe. The rest of the gear items you list seem reasonable to me. Well, I don't know that pack, you might find something lighter that you would like from ULA or Gossamer Gear, Six Moon Designs (I'd try www.ula-equipment.com first if you're interested in seeing alternatives).

For the most part, however, gear that's not too heavy and you're used to seems like the right set of stuff to me!

Edited by BrianLe (01/29/10 03:12 PM)