Re light vs. heavy: There is also the problem that carrying heavy gear can result in injury (been there, done that). However, it is true that going ultralight (under approximately 10-12 lbs. base weight) is definitely not for the inexperienced! Even the SUL'ers over at BPL say this!

One thing I really like about the articles on the home page of this site is that they give a really good balance between being light enough to be comfortable yet sufficient to be safe and comfortable!

On the other hand, gear cannot substitute for skills, and the latter are extremely important. I'm hoping to work up an article that describes the skills that one needs to learn and the best way to learn them. One of the most important, of course, is regulating body temperature. Another is to learn to recognize your physical limitations before you get close to your limit. When I get there (it will probably be a month or two), I hope you will all comment on it!