Originally Posted By Jimshaw
I had a friend in Australia who was a climber and he said that when you pulled up onto any ledge, you did so very carefully. They found the molted skin of the worlds most poisonous snake at the bottom of one climb.

You do this every time you are climbing/scrambling up (or even going down) a cliff line. A lady from my bushwalking club climbed a small cliff on a well trodden path and had a Brown snake wriggle past her hand as she placed it on the ledge. Scared her good, unfortunately she has passed on now but after this incident she never blindly placed her hand on a ledge again.

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
They found the molted skin of the worlds most poisonous snake at the bottom of one climb.
Jim

Yes, molted skins are always fun to find and they do freak some people right out.

Another guy I know via bushwalking was abseiling down some cliffs on a river about 5km from my home. He did all the right things including having a look down before descending.
As he got near to the bottom a snake wriggled out from the rocks and he landed right on top of it. At first he was terrified as he couldn't tell what type of snake it was. Lucky for him it was a non-venomous Python that took off as soon a he landed on it.

Moral of the story: even if you check you can still get a big surprise. grin

Cheers,
Micahel

Edited by AussieBushwalker (01/25/10 01:08 AM)