Of course I agree with Jim, at least for the most part on this.

But --- not because I like to argue (!) --- I'd like to lay out a somewhat different perspective.

I think it can be perilous (and not by anyone here, but in some cases perhaps even arrogant, patronizing) to treat the words "beginner" and "idiot" as synomyms. I think it can be fine to make beginners aware that there are approaches, techniques, equipment, solutions that require expertise that should be learned or developed over time, depending on how that's done.

I also think there's a downside in being too conservative, and I see that in various fields. At the risk of "excessive eloquence", let me give an example ...

I used to teach investment classes, and it was common practice to give overly-conservative "rules of thumb" about certain things to beginners. The idea being, I guess, that with experience the beginner could transcend the initial "rule" and use their experience to do what made most sense for them.
The catch with this is that several times I got into discussions with people about how to make a particular judgement where the whole thrust of their argument was "When I was first taught, I was told that ...". I.e., we humans seem to have a tendency to anchor and hold fast to the rules of thumb that we're taught early on. Our initial instructor sometimes has a disproportionate impact on our long-term views on things.

That's the context in which I get a little nervous about hard and fast "always do this", "never do that" rules in any field of endeavor. I think the best suggestions take the form of "When you're first starting out, stick to X, and maybe you'll be interested in trying Y after you've got the basics down".

I'd also say that sometimes an effort to be conservative with suggestions to beginners could make them ultimately over-reliant on equipment, i.e., if the suggestions come in the form of particular equipment choices, the underlying message received might unfortunately be something like "if I take enough of the right type of equipment, I'm bound to be safe" --- where as I think someone else already said, it's more experience and wise choices that make us safe in the woods.

To be clear, I don't offer the above words in argument with anyone (!), just expanding related ideas.