I'm with Jim. I badly sprained an ankle running a long time ago and use boots to prevent a repeat of that. I wear Asolo's but that is because they fit my feet. Merrill and Vasque are good brands. I'm sure there are others. I used to wear lightweight boots made by Hi-Tec for work because they fit right and were cheap, but they would only last about 3 months.

I still have an old pair of Asolo full leather boots I wore in New Zealand and never had a problem with them and that included fording streams and walking on some very rough tracks. In contrast, I had a light pair of New Balance boots and they came apart after a short while. I presume the technology is far better now, but I am leery of lightweight footwear in rough conditions.

The last thing you want is problems with your footwear. You'll read every different idea you can think of here, so my advice is to see what works for you. Just keep in mind that ankle damage is hard to repair and that if you are far into the backcountry and can't walk out, you have a real problem.