Question 1, how much does your pack weigh? This makes a big difference. Question 2, do you use trekking poles? They help keep you more stable.

I have found supportive trail runners to be much better at preventing turned or sprained ankles than boots. That's because many models have far more anti-pronation support built in than do boots. With boots, the best you can do is try orthotics until you find something that keeps your feet stable but is otherwise comfortable. The support provided to the ankle by the boot upper, at least for me, is mostly psychological.

Recommending a particular brand or model of shoe or boot is just about impossible because our feet are the most individual part of us! I can't even recommend one for women like me with wide toes, narrow heels, hammertoes and bunions, because when Columbia Sportswear took over Montrail, they completely ruined the Hardrock for what I need it for.

In other words, you'll have to do a lot of shopping and trying on. Take your pack with you, and shop late in the day when your feet are larger. Do a lot of walking around in the store, and ask for an up/down ramp. Do several hours' more walking (again with pack) on the carpet in your house, no matter how boring, while you can still take the shoes back.

Good luck!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/20/10 11:31 PM)