Not sure how helpful this information would be for you but here it is. I started using a straight light tarp about a year ago and I love it!. It is not a fancy 'tarp tent' like what you are asking about, but rather just a lightweight tarp, and one small ground cover.

In moderate weather I just set it up as a lean-too using my trekking poles, and sets up in just a minuet or two. Just tilt it to block the wind and if there is light rain, and you will be surprised how warm it will keep you.

In heavy rain what I will do is put my ground cover down and then just lay the tarp over my bag and head, if winds are heavy sometimes stack it down. Since my ground tarp is smaller then the tarp water typically does not get inside.

In winter when snow is available i found what works really well is making 3 snow walls or 4 if it is really cold and just spreading the tarp over the top for a roof. This has kept my extremely warm before, but have not tried it while it is snowing very heavy, it may cave in if not properly stacked then.

All in all if you just use you're imagination there seems to always be a way to set up a tarp & trekking poles to make a suitable shelter for all standard weather. If you are going to be in very adverse situations i'm not sure about how well it will do as i have not used mine in any monsoons or blizzards yet.